9.17.2012

other people's bookshelves


There are numerous ways to get to know people--be seated next to them in class, admire their shoes, through a friend of a friend... But the best ways to get to know them--to really know them? It's books.

It's books in all their shapes and forms. It's talking about your favourite books, and asking if they've ever written one, and fixing a time to watch the movie version of one. It's lending each other dog-eared paperbacks and fighting over a beautiful copy of a classic and wrapping up different novels for birthdays and Christmases. It is searching for one thing in a bookshop and bumping into someone you never expected to be there. 

And it's book cases too. Seeing what people keep close by on their bedside tables and what they re-read so often that it never makes it's way back to the shelves. What has a creased spine and what has been kept perfectly intact. 

This Saturday was one of books for me. Pulling out my hefty tome in a little cafe, and accidentally finding books I wasn't really looking for in the library. Perusing in the bookshop with no intent of buying, and coming out with a bag. The lady at work who put aside a 99p copy of a book I need to read for school, and taking a book from my brother's room, with no intention of returning it this time.

And if someone scanned the titles of those books, I think they would know me pretty well. They would know me even better by the stacks of books in my room though.

12 comments:

  1. i love books!! love that picture. :)
    ~Jess~

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, I so agree. books are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this post so much!!

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you can tell a lot about people by what they read. But then sometimes they totally throw you off by reading something you never expected them to. :) I love it when bloggers post pictures that include their bookshelves. So I can be nosy and see what they read. :)

    ~Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  5. i so agree. peoples' bookshelves can be very insightful. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! I completely agree. Books say an awful lot about a person.
    I love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A person's bookshelf is a completely honest thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah. Have I ever loved and agreed with a post more? :) This is great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree! Also scrolling through their iPods. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lastly, you should know that the online therapist finder is really appropriate.
    Indeed, the best schools produce the best physical therapists in the country,
    so it is every aspiring therapist. RTs can also explore the option of branching out into business roles with equipment
    manufacturers, or join the world of research and academics.
    Here is my website - Porenaa.Livejournal.Com

    ReplyDelete
  11. People search Wow, cool post. I'd like to write like this too - taking time and real hard work to make a great article... but I put things off too much and never seem to get started. Thanks though.

    ReplyDelete