5.23.2012

art museums


I have a strange relationship with art museums. When it is announced we are going to visit one, as my family usually does on vacations, I groan and complain, thinking about the hours spent in cold rooms looking at ancient relics that have little or nothing to do with my life. But occasionally I'll find something that captivates me, like that girl on the left in the last picture. A lot of figures look so stiff and emotionless, but she looks so real. Her chin is held up in a slightly defiant manner and her eyes suggest she knows something you don't. I feel like she may have done something wrong and is being punished, but she doesn't deserve to be punished. I'm not sure. I find it all interesting to contemplate. 

Have you ever been in a gallery when it's empty? It's so peaceful. When everything is right, it will feel like the best place to be in the world. You can really look at the art, imagine what it would be like to be there. I always leave feeling inspired. 

12 comments:

  1. whoa. the second photo. like, dang, girl!
    -jocee <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just love this. and art museums are so much fun. i love them when they're empty too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have 2 pictures that are very dear to me. One is me walking towards the original Marilyn Monroe Pop art piece in the Andy Warhol Museum for the first time. (I was her biggest fan in my early teen years) And the other is me sitting on a bench in the Pittsburgh Carngie Art Museum looking at the LOVE big letter canvas take up a whole wall, it consumes the picture. And I love how small I look next to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pictures! Art museums are really cool, but I've recently read a book called Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos by R. L. LaFevers, and I've become very interested in Egyptian artifacts! I really want to go to Egypt now! :)

    Hannah
    thewritingsofhannah.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. That second photo is amazing! I haven't been to an art museum FOREVER, but wish I could!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Art museums are a favorite. I love the silence that surrounds you in such an inspiring place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sadly, I've only ever been to one art museum during my existence, and that was a relatively small one. However, I really enjoyed it (especially because I am artistically minded) and I dream of being all connoisseur when I'm older, going to Art Galleries, Shakespearian theatre, and classical music concerts, et cetera. :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. you're right--art museums are usually not my favorite thing, but once I'm in them, there are so many treasures to be found. lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. the second photo is incredible!
    and i usually don't go to many art museums, but this year i've been going for school projects and i've found so many gorgeous gems in my city.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never been to an art museum. sounds like i'm missing out!

    the girls in the last picture both have such life in their eyes... i love them.

    xo,
    Jessica @ Diary of a Beautiful Soul

    ReplyDelete
  11. so just so you know, I always try to guess which girl wrote the post I'm reading on here before I scroll all the way down, and I've guessed right on your last few posts. it's really exciting. you really have a style! I love these :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are peaceful right?? They are perfect for spending time their reflecting. And those photos are so beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete