2.22.2012

hazel grace and augustus waters.

She's 16 and her thyroid cancer has moved to her lungs. They have no idea how long she's going to live. He's 17, and his osteosarcoma took one of his legs. He should be fine. They meet at Hazel Grace's ironically depressing Cancer Kid support group.

I'm not really sure why their story connected so much with me. Maybe it's because they're the same age as I am. Maybe it's because the story is in two places very dear to me. Maybe it's because they're both so real that I couldn't help falling in love with them.

Hazel Grace and Augustus are the kind of teenagers that, a lot of times, I find myself wishing I could be like. They're witty and entertaining. They read good books (and obsess over the books just as much as I do) and daydream about meeting the author.

I feel silly for saying this, because they're not real people, but Hazel and Gus are so cute together. I don't know, their personalities fit so well together.Can we talk about Gus for a minute? I love him. A lot. While I was reading this book, I would laugh out loud, stop, tell my sister something that he said, and continue reading.

One of the big parts of this book is the fact that they're not portrayed like cancer kids typically are. They aren't wiser than their years, or somehow enlightened because of their cancer. They're just kids like me. And she has a crush on him, and they watch a movie at his house...and so it goes.

you can buy the book on amazon or barnes and noble

xo
katie

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good book! Will definitely be checking it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'll have to check this out. jocee @ the cupcake dictionary really, really liked it i think. she had made me want to read it before reading this... now i really want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed it...I liked that Hazel and Gus weren't "typical" teenagers. I don't like reading about typical teenagers, to be honest, because I wasn't one. I was one of the weird ones, though I wasn't half as cool as these two are. :)

    Anyway, I read it because I kept hearing about it from you. :) And I was impressed...so soon I'll be at the library searching for other John Green books.

    ~Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yes. oh yes. i loved this so much, i'm almost crying. "okay?" "okay." "okay." mmhm. great post :))
    -jocee <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this book! I happened upon a signed copy of it at the grocery store and almost died :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just ordered the book =) It makes me think of this music video; one of my favorites EVER. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7Gf2SOmz5Q

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also, the fact that he realises how obnoxious it is to call that space The Literal Heart of Jesus? I need a guy {not nessecarily a loveguy, just anyone who realises this!} in my life who can mock inappropriate use of the word literal with me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved, loved, loved this book. It made me laugh, and cry. But mostly laugh.

    And it's good to know that I'm not the only one who had a slight *ahem* crush on Augustus... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Fault in Our Stars is actually my favorite book ever. Augustus is just perfect
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been really wanting to read this. Now I want to even more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post id so perfect. The book is so perfect. Hazel and Gus are so perfect. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ugh, I love The Fault in Our Stars so much it hurts. The link is a post I saw on Tumblr today about TFiOS that I thought was absolutely adorable.

    http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lz6uti0zPl1r3ibgko1_500.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  13. TFiOS fan art makes my heart happy. Such a cute picture!

    ReplyDelete