2.25.2012

playing pioneer


Like most kids, I went through many literary phases when I was younger. At different times, and to different degrees, I have been obsessed with Jane Austen, Greek mythology, Nancy Drew, those Royal Diaries books about princesses, the Holocaust, and yes, even Twilight (I was eleven, okay? People change).

And there was the time, around second grade, when I read the Little House on the Prairie series.

I got the complete set of all the books around that time and I remember reading the very first on an airplane to California. I remember this because I left it in the seat back pocket, never to be seen again. It was eventually replaced, but that was the start of it all for me.

I had my mom make me a pioneer dress, complete with a bonnet. I didn't wear it out in public, of course, but on Halloween and lazy Saturdays it would make an appearance. I recall days spent in the living room with my two younger sisters, playing like we were pioneers. I'd lug out the old tin bucket, for lack of better word, and pretend to wash clothes in it. Sometimes, we'd pretend someone was sick and 'call' for the doctor. Or act like Laura and Mary, running around on the banks of Plum Creek.

There's more, though. One time, I went to a pioneer fair with my family, where I made candles and little dolls and rode in a covered wagon. At school that year, we had to decorate a pumpkin as our favorite book character and who did I chose but Laura Ingalls Wilder. Who else was there, really? And when it came time for biographies...well, I don't think you even have to ask.

That was my first big book obsession. You might even say it was the start of it all, what led to my hopefully life-long love of reading. There will be others. But I'll never forget Little House on the Prairie and days spent playing pioneer.

Kendall

18 comments:

  1. Oh Kendall, me too. When I was just a little girl, about 2-3 my mom would read us the series in our living room in Romania. My sister and I would sit there enthralled... hanging on to each word. Little House on the Prairie was the start of my book obsession. For sure.

    Beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore the Little House on the Prairie Series. They are so much different than the shows. I loved reading them, Laura wrote as if she was writing to you. I loved her style of writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never really read the Little House on the Prairie Book. But I do remember playing pioneer with my brother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so sweet! I loved little house on the prairie and played it with my friends when we were younger... but our favorite was playing as if we were confederate nurses on the front line battlefield, helping our men :-) We'd make forts and get all dressed up, have little washbasins and rags and clotheslines... Those were the days.

    Thanks for reminding me,
    Gabby

    ReplyDelete
  5. My history of book obsessions was very similar! Nancy Drew, The Box Car Children, Jane Austen, the Holocaust, Percy Jackson... but my very first was Little House on the Prairie. I couldn't put them down until I read all of them at least once. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, little house. i love it so much. :))
    -jocee <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read the books yet but hope to one day soon! Love this post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to play pioneer a lot when I was little, too. It was a lot of fun. :) I loved those books, too. My mom read them out loud to us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had read two or three of the Little House books when I was a kid, but last year I read through the entire series (and loved it!).

    You should totally read "The Wilder Life," by Wendy McClure, if you haven't already.

    ~Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Little House series was my absolute favorite as a kid! My favorite thing, though, was visiting Rocky Ridge Farm in Mansfield, MO. That's where Laura wrote the book. I grew up about fifteen minutes from there. I've seen Pa's fiddle and stood in the house where she penned the books. Those books take my back to my childhood more than anything. I still want to be a pioneer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember back in elementary school we had a pioneer day since we were learning about such period of time in history. I remember dressing up in home-made outfits and doing some silly dance in the cafeteria. Oh, the good ol' days!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will always love those books :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've only read Little House in the Big Woods a long time ago, but I remember loving it! I've had so many book obsessions in my lifetime. But my current book obsession? Lord of the Rings :)

    Abbie /// XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had pretty much the same thing! I was obsessed with these books. When I visited my grandma's house (she lives in ND, pretty much on the prairie) I would pretend I was Laura. And I've even been to the actual Surveyors house!
    These books are so good. I think I'll always love 'em. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. My homeschooling group did a whole study on Little House on the Prairie books...which sparked our love for the show. We are the proud owners of all the seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Little House on the Prairie books were my first obsession as well. I even took to calling my mom "Ma." Somewhere I have a collection of things from the "prairie" days [just things that I got at fairs and such]. I don't even know how many times I read the whole series.

    ReplyDelete
  17. *sigh* I remember my obsession with the pioneer life. Little House on the Prairie was an obsession...I remember being eleven and watching the Little House on the Prairie show, and dressing in a long skirt with a big scarf draped around my shoulders like Ma Ingalls.

    Those were the days. :]

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow. i totally remember those days for myself too. and what's funny is the first book i ever bought with my own money was left where? the back seat pocket of an airplane. but i remember reading the little house series over and over and over until i thought the books' pages would wear right through. thanks for helping me reminisce. :)

    ReplyDelete